Sunday, May 4, 2008

I pulled a Lance Armstrong..in a bad way.

Hey everyone,

Just finshed the race and got totally trashed! Every pedal stroke hurt and felt like I was going through sand. I pumped up my tubulars to 160psi, so I figured that I would just float over the pavement. That was not the case. The course was called the Saskatoon Roubaix and consisted of pavement and dirt roads. On the warm up lap, I was already in zone 5 heart rate. I was like what the heck, am I that out of shape! Is my heart rate monitor at home lying to me?

I was dropped after a few moments after the first attack, then I figured that I would complete the race even though I was dropped. For 2.5 laps I was fighting to keep my speed at 33kms. I was last and the person ahead of me was around 10 mins. Then, I looked down at my front wheel because it sounded like it was squealing and I thought that the bearings were shot. I looked at my front brake and lifted the lever to release the brake to remove the wheel and instant speed. Drat, I rode in zone 5 and kept up decently with the pack. I said forget it and I attacked. I picked off the rider 5 mins and ahead and just a few seconds off of the back of the main pack. I pulled a 2003 Armstrong, where he rode with his brake rubbing. Now I could not pedal through it to keep up with the pack, like him; but after I sure did feel good.

Will be riding the single speed tomorrow on some single track, will let you know how my new baby rides.

When you feel like quitting, just forget it and keep on going!

Cheers!

No comments: